SIL Academic Training
Academic training in SIL focuses on preparing people to do quality linguistic fieldwork, literacy and translation.
Welcome to SIL Academic Training
SIL training equips and enables the student to do the following:
- work with sensitivity alongside members of another culture
- learn to speak unwritten languages and develop practical writing systems
- record and describe the sound system, the grammar, and the lexicon of a language
- do ethnographic research and apply it to language development
- promote mother-tongue literacy and the development of ongoing literacy programs
- assist an ethnic group and government agencies in planning and executing language development strategies
- facilitate production of a body of literature in the indigenous language (such as educational literature, folk histories and legends, a dictionary, grammatical description, the Bible, and health manuals), and
- pass on the above skills to others, especially to the speakers
of the indigenous languages.