Catherine MB Young
SIL International - Asia
Ortigas Center PO Box 12962
1600 Pasig, Metro Manila, Philippines
Phone: +63 2 631 3839
- Ph.D. University of Wales, UK (2011)
- M.Ed. University of Sheffield, UK (2001)
- B.Ed. (Hons.), University of Lancaster, UK 1981
- Asia Area Multilingual Education Coordinator (2008 – )
- International Literacy and Education Consultant (2008 – )
- SIL Philippines; Associate Director for Academic Affairs (2002 – 2006)
- SIL Philippines; Literacy Coordinator (1997 – )
- Linguistic Society of the Philippines
- Multilingual education
- Education policy and planning
- Participatory development practices
2007. “Promoting Literacy in Multilingual Settings. ” UNESCO Bangkok (with K. Kosonen and S. Malone).
2005. “Bridging the Gap: The Development of Appropriate Educational Strategies for Minority Language Communities in the Philippines. ”Current Issues in Language Planning 6 (3), 2005 (with D. Dekker).
2005. “First Language Education: Quality Education for All. ” IN Dayag, D and Quakenbush, S (eds.). Linguistics and Language Education in the Philippines and Beyond, Linguistic Society of the Philippines, Manila.
2003. “First Language: A Foundation for Effective Basic Education ”Philippine Journal of Linguistics vol 34:1 Manila, Philippines.
2002. “First Language First Literacy Education for the Future in a Multilingual Philippine Society ”International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism. Vol. 5:4 Multilingual Matters: England.
2001. “The development of indigenised curriculum ”Philippine Journal of Linguistics vol 32:2 Manila, Philippines.
2007. “The Challenges of Bridge Building: from Mother Tongue to Multilingual Education ” Paper presented at International Mother Language Day celebrations, UNESCO, Paris; February 2007.
2003. “Leadership development strategies for sustainability in multilingual education programmes ” Paper presented at the International Conference on Language Development, Language Revitalisation and Multilingual Education, Bangkok, Thailand. November 2003