Karla J. Smith
High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire
- Ph.D., Sociolinguistics and Education, Charles Darwin University, Australia, 2008
- M.A., Education: Specific Learning Disabilities. University of Florida, 1985
- International Literacy and Education Consultant, SIL (2010– )
- SIL Asia Area Multilingual Education Consultant (2003–present)
- Multilingual Education (MLE) and Literacy Consultant (1998–present)
- Lecturer/Tutor: Multilingual Education (MLE) for Minority Language Contexts. European Training Program; Buckinghamshire, England. (April 2010)
- Consultant, trainer and organizer: MLE Kindergarten Teacher Training Workshop – 5 languages; Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia. (December, 2008)
- Consultant and co-trainer: MLE Playschool Teacher Training Workshop – 9 language groups; Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia. (June 24–July 4, 2007)
- Consultant and Trainer: Mother Tongue Based Bilingual Education in Vietnam: in cooperation with Save the Children UK in Vietnam and the Ministry of Education and Training, Government of Vietnam; (May 21–June 1, 2007)
- Consultant and Co-Chair Main Organizing Committee: First Malaysian Indigenous Peoples Conference on Education (MIPCE); Sabah, Malaysia. (April 23–27, 2007)
- Organizer, Facilitator and Participator: Maori Study trip for the Indigenous Peoples of Malaysia. New Zealand. (October 28–November 12, 2006)
- Consultant: MLE Bridging Workshop. Nasik, India. (10–22 October 2005)
- Course Head and Instructor: Asia SIL Literacy Courses, Darwin, Australia (2002)
- Phi Kappa Phi Honour Society (1985–present)
- Jamaican Creole
- Multilingual Education
- Curriculum Development
- Early childhood and primary education
Smith, Karla J. and James Chin, eds. 2010. The Iranun of Sabah: Language and culture of an endangered minority in Malaysia.(Multiple authors) 7 of 15 chapters authored or co-authored by Karla J. Smith. Selangor, Malaysia: Pelanduk Publications, in press.
Smith, Karla J. 2008. Language and decisions: the Iranun of Sabah, Malaysia. PhD diss., Charles Darwin University, Australia.
Smith, Karla J. and James A. Smith, eds. and compilers. 2005. Gu’up a iringa’ Iranun a ikaisa vol. 1. Bilingual. (Iranun traditional stories). Sabah, Malaysia: BKI.
Smith, Karla J. and James A. Smith. 2005. Iranun kamus bergambar. (Iranun trilingual picture dictionary) Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia: Sabah National Museum.
Smith, Karla J. 2003. Minority language education in Malaysia: Four ethnic communities’ experiences. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism 6(1):52–65. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
———. 2001. The Iranun’s strategy for language and culture preservation. Adult Education and Development 56. Bonn: Institute for International Cooperation.
———. 2001. Non-traditional education among the Iranun, a Malaysian ethnic minority. Notes on Literacy 27(1), 23–31. Dallas, TX: SIL International.
Smith, Karla, J. 2007. Objectives, rationale and research; Implementing and sustaining strong MLE programs; and developing reading materials in the learner’s heritage language. Paper presented at the First Malaysian Indigenous Peoples Conference on Education (MIPCE) 23–27 April, in Sabah, Malaysia.
———. 2006. The Iranun children’s language; Building a strong foundation and a good bridge; MLE for indigenous minority languages study in progress. Paper presented at the Eighth Biennial Conference of the Borneo Research Council (BRC), 31 July–1 August, in Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.
Smith, Karla, J. and Masrin Hassin. 2006. The classical beauty of the Iranun Bayuk. Paper presented at the Eighth Biennial Conference of the Borneo Research Council (BRC), 31 July–1 August, in Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.
Smith, Karla, J. and James A, Smith. 2005. Beyond bedtime stories. Paper presented at the World Indigenous Peoples Conference Education (WIPCE), 27 November–1 December, in Hamilton, New Zealand.
Smith, Karla, J. 2003. A community’s strategy for language development: The Iranun of Sabah. Paper presented at the Conference on Language Development, Language Revitalization and Multilingual Education in Asia, 6–8 November, in Bangkok, Thailand.
Smith, Karla, J. and Ismail Sidik. 2003. Strategi Program mementapkan kebudayaan dan bahasa Iranun di Sabah (Program strategies for strengthening the language and cultures of the Iranun in Sabah). Paper presented at the Third International Literacy Conference, LitCon 2003, 15–17 August, in Penang, Malaysia.
Smith, Karla, J. 2001. Trends in mother tongue education in Malaysia: A look at Kadazandusun, Iranun, Iban and Semai language communities. Paper presented at the International Symposium on Bilingualism 3 (ISB3), 17–20 April, in Bristol, England.
———. 2000. Moderator at three sessions and Presenter on Panel: Bilingual/MT education in Asia – trends and experiences at Asia Area Literacy Conference (AALC), 15–26 May, in Chiang Mai, Thailand.