- M.A. Urban Education with bilingual emphasis, California State University, Los Angeles, (1978)
- B.A. Elementary Education with psychology emphasis, Biola, (1972)
- Standard “Life” Elementary Teaching Credential, California
- Certificate of Proficiency - Spanish Language, California
- Specialist Credential - Bilingual/Cross Cultural Education, California
- International Literacy and Education Consultant, SIL (2008 – )
- Literacy Consultant for SIL Africa Area. (2005 – 2008)
- Literacy Consultant for SIL East Africa Group, (2002 – 2003)
- Literacy/bilingual education specialist for BTL Kenya. (1997 – 2002)
- Literacy /Bilingual Education Consultant assignment, spring of (1997)
- Consulted Sabaot and Tharaka language projects. Literacy and bilingual education specialist in Tharaka project, (1998 – 2000)
- Developed literacy materials and teachers’ guides, led workshops for training local authors.
- Supervised adult literacy activities.
- Developed plan for mother tongue education, in cooperation with educators in Tharaka district.
- Wrote a teacher-training manual and seven-year expansion plan for the Tharaka program.
- Produced adult literacy materials (basic adult transitional literacy primer; a self-teaching transition workbook; teachers’ guide for basic adult primers; and teachers’ guide for basic transition primer).
- Developed textbooks for language arts in mother- tongue, grades K-3.
- Instructor in Mega Literacy course, Summer Institute of Linguistics, Dallas, Texas. (Fall 1997)
- Instructor of English as a Second Language, Pan Africa Christian College, Summer Institute of Linguistics, Nairobi, Kenya, (1994 – 1996) and guest lecturer in the Vernacular Literacy class at NEGST, (1996).
- Instructor for Vernacular Literacy class at Pan Africa College, Summer Institute of Linguistics, Nairobi, Kenya, (1994)
- Assistant to Museum Director for International Museum of Cultures. September, (1988 – November 1990)
- Teaching Assistant for Literacy Materials course. Summer Institute of Linguistics, Dallas, Texas. (Fall 1986)
- Teaching Assistant for Literacy Materials course. Summer Institute of Linguistics, Norman, Oklahoma. (Summer 1982, and Summer 1983)
- Bilingual Teacher, Hacienda La Puente Unified School District, La Puente, California. Reading in Spanish and English 1st, 2nd and 4th grades and transition from Spanish to English, and English as a Second Language, (September 1974 – June 1981)
- Teacher, Coachella Valley Unified School District, Thermal, California. One year regular 5th grade and one year as bilingual 4th grade. (September 1972 – June 1974)
- International Association of Applied Linguistics (AILA)/British Association of Applied Linguistics
- International Reading Association
- French (1+)
- Relationship between orthography and reading process
- Relationship between linguistic properties of languages and reading pedagogy
- Transitional reading pedagogies.
- Common underlying proficiencies across languages that contribute to transfer of language skills in literacy domains.
2007. (with Barbara Trudell). “Reading methodologies for African languages: avoiding linguistic and pedagogical imperialism, ”Language, Culture and Curriculum, Vol. 20 (3): 165-180.
2007. “Promoting Cognitive Development in Children from Minority Language Groups. ”International Journal of Learning,Vol. 14 (7).
2006. Bantu Orthography Manual. (First electronic version.) Nairobi, Kenya, SIL.
2004. “Mother-tongue education in schools in Kenya: some hidden beneficiaries. ”Language Matters 35(2): 376-389.
2001. “Mother-tongue education in schools in Tharaka language group of Kenya. ”Notes on Literacy 27(3): 8-22.
2000. (with Ilene Foote). “Documentation and Assessment of a Multilingual Education Program. ” In Explaining multilingual education: information on some tough questions.Pp. 177-210. Stephen L Walter, Patricia M. Davis, and Ronald Morren, eds. Dallas: SIL International.
2007. “Promoting Cognitive Development in Children from Minority Language Groups. ” Paper presented at 14th International Conference on Learning, Johannesburg, South Africa, 29 June, 2007.
2006. “Reading methodologies for African languages: avoiding linguistic and pedagogical imperialism. ” Paper presented at the annual meeting of British Association for Applied Linguistics.
2005. “Mother tongue based bilingual education: Promoting cognitive development in children from minority language groups. ” Paper presented at the 4th Pan Africa Reading for All Conference of the International Reading Association, Ezulwini, Swaziland.
2007. “Promoting Cognitive Development in Children from Minority Language Groups. ” International Journal of LearningVolume 14, Issue 7. Online at URL http://www.cgpublisher.com