J. Stephen Quakenbush
- Ph.D., Linguistics, Georgetown University, 1986
- M.S., Linguistics, Georgetown University, 1981
- B.A., Linguistics/Spanish American Studies, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1978
- International Academic Services Director (2009– )
- SIL Asia Area Academic Coordinator (2004-2008)
- SIL Philippines Linguistics Coordinator (2004-2007)
- SIL Philippines Director (1997-2001)
- Linguist/Translator, Agutaynen project (1984-2003)
- Instructor in various SIL-related training programs in Oklahoma, North Dakota, Texas, Tennessee, Singapore, Manila (Phonetics, Phonology, Grammar, Field Methods, Sociolinguistics—1980-2008)
- Associate Editor, Philippine Journal of Linguistics (2002-2008)
- Editorial Consultant, Philippine Journal of Linguistics (2008- )
- Consulting Editor, SIL Electronic Survey Reports (2004- )
- Organizer, 10-ICAL: Tenth International Conference on Austronesian Linguistics, 17-20 January 2006. Puerto Princesa City, Palawan, Philippines.
- Graduate Institute of Applied Linguistics Board member, (2010- )
- International Conference on Austronesian Linguistics Steering Committee (2006- )
- Linguistic Society of the Philippines (1984- ), LSP Board member (1997-2001, 2003-2008)
- Philippine Bible Society (1984- )
- Linguistic Society of America (1979- )
- Phi Beta Kappa (1978- )
- English (ILR 5)
- Agutaynen (ILR 3)
- Tagalog (ILR 3)
- Spanish (ILR 2)
- Portuguese (ILR 1)
- Austronesian languages
- Language Documentation and Description
2011. (with Gail R. Hendrickson and Josenita L. Edep). A Brief Overview of Agutaynen Grammar. Manila: SIL Philippines. http://sil.org/asia/philippines/epublication/agn_Grammar_Sketch_for_Agutaynen_Dictionary_2010.pdf.
2007. SIL International and endangered Austronesian languages. In Documenting and Revitalizing Austronesian Languages. D. Victoria Rau and Margaret Florey, eds. Language Documentation & Conservation Special Publication 1. http://nflrc.hawaii.edu/ldc/sp01/
2005. (ed., with Danilo T. Dayag). Linguistics and language education in the Philippines and beyond: A festschrift in honor of Maria Lourdes S. Bautista. Manila: De La Salle University Press.
1999. (compiler). Agutaynen texts. In Studies in Agutaynen, Part I. Studies in Philippine Languages and Cultures 11(1):7-88. Available for download at: http://www.sil.org/asia/philippines/plb_download.html
1998. “Other” Philippine languages in the Third Millennium. Philippine Journal of Linguistics 29(1-2):1-22.
1993. Focus, topic, subject and emphasis. In Philippine Enclycopedia of the Social Sciences, Vol II, (History, Linguistics, Social Work). Pp. 255-256. Quezon City: Philippine Social Science Council.
1992. Word order and discourse type: An Austronesian example. In Pragmatics of Word Order Flexibility. Doris L. Payne, ed. Pp. 279-303. Typological Studies in Language 22. Amsterdam: Benjamins.
1989. Language Use and Proficiency in a Multilingual Setting: A Sociolinguistic Survey of Agutaynen Speakers in Palawan, Philippines. LSP Special Monograph 28. Manila: Linguistic Society of the Philippines. Reprinted in 2000. Available for download at: http://www.sil.org/asia/philippines/plb_download.html
2011. Some lessons learned in applying EGIDS and the Sustainable Use Model for Language Development. Presentation at American Association for Applied Linguistics, Chicago, March 26, 2011.
2011. Tracking Agutaynen Language Vitality: 1984-2009. Manila: SIL Philippines. http://sil.org/asia/philippines/epublication/agn_Tracking_Agutaynen_Language_Vitality_2011.pdf Original paper presented at 11th International Conference on Austronesian Linguistics, Aussois, France, June 22-26, 2009.
2006. (with Edward Ruch). Pronoun Ordering and Marking in Kalamianic. Paper presented at the Tenth International Conference on Austronesian Linguistics, Puerto Princesa City, Palawan, Philippines, January 17-20, 2006. http://www.sil.org/asia/philippines/ical/papers/Quakenbush-Pronoun%20Ordering%20and%20Marking%20in%20Kalamianic.pdf
1997. Writing Agutaynen Pronouns: Making the Most of a Mixed-up World. In Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Austronesian Linguistics, Leiden, 22-27 August 1994, Cecilia Odé and Wim Stokhof, eds. Pp. 685-94. Amsterdam and Atlanta: Editions Rodopi B.V.
1991. Surveying Language Proficiency. In VICAL 2: Western Austronesian and contact languages, parts I and II: Papers from the fifth International Conference on Austronesian Linguistics, Auckland, New Zealand. Ray Harlow, ed. Pp. 245-63. Auckland: Linguistic Society of New Zealand. Also appears in 1992. Windows on bilingualism. Eugene H. Casad, ed. Pp. 61-70. Summer Institute of Linguistics and the University of Texas at Arlington Publications in Linguistics 110. Dallas: Summer Institute of Linguistics and the University of Texas at Arlington.