Kenneth A. McElhanon
- PhD Australian National University (1970)
- B.A. Wheaton College (IL) (1961)
- Senior Faculty, Graduate Institute of Applied Linguistics, Dallas, TX
- Visiting Faculty of Handong Global University, Pohang, South Korea. (2006 –).
- Senior Faculty of the Graduate Institute of Applied Linguistics, Dallas Texas. (2005 –).
- Associate Professor of the Graduate Institute of Applied Linguistics, Dallas Texas (formerly TXSIL). (1999 – 2005).
- Adjunct to the faculty, University of Texas at Arlington. (1991 –)
- Faculty of the Texas Summer Institute of Linguistics (TXSIL). (1991 – 1999).
- Associate Professor of Cross-Cultural Communication, E. Stanley Jones School of World Mission and Evangelism, Asbury Theological Seminary, Wilmore, Kentucky. (1986 – 1990).
- Adjunct to the faculty, School of World Mission, Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, California. (1984 – 1985).
- Society of Biblical Literature (2007)
- Society of Biblical Literature (2007) Evangelical Theological Society (1992 –)
- American Society of Missiology (1985 –)
- American Ethnological Society (1987 – 1993).
- Association for Social Anthropology in Oceania (1986 – 1989)
- Society for Psychological Anthropology (1985 – 1993)
- Society for Applied Anthropology (1985 – 1990)
- International Society for Intercultural Education, Training and Research (1985 – 89)
- Society for Linguistic Anthropology (1985 – 1987)
- American Anthropological Association (1985 – 1993, 1997 – 1998)
- Applied Linguistics Association of Australia (1980 – 1986)
- Selepet (PNG)
- Tok Pisin (PNG)
- Cognitive science
- World view
- Papuan linguistics
1984. A Linguistic Field Guide to the Morobe Province, Papua New Guinea. Pacific Linguistics D.57. 67 pp. 1984.
1982. From the Mouths of Ancestors (Volume two of Legends from Papua New Guinea). Ukarumpa, P.N.G.: S.I.L. 219 pp. 1982. (editor).
1975. Tok Pisin I Go We? (Proceedings of a conference held at the University of Papua New Guinea, Port Moresby, P.N.G., September, 1973). Kivung, Special Publication Number One, 242 pp. 1975. (editor).
1974. Legends from Papua New Guinea. Ukarumpa, P.N.G.: Summer Institute of Linguistics, 236 pp. 1974. (editor).
1973. Towards a Typology of the Finisterre-Huon Languages, New Guinea, Pacific Linguistics B.22. vii, 73 pp. 1973.
1970. Selepet-English Dictionary, Pacific Linguistics C.15. xxi, 144 pp. 1970. (with Noreen A. McElhanon).
1970. The Trans-New Guinea Phylum, Pacific Linguistics B.16. v, 107 pp. 1970. (with C.L. Voorhoeve.
2007. “I am the way, the truth, and the life ”: biblical authority and cognitive semantics.” Paper presented to the 2006 Annual Meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature held at the Convention Center, San Diego, CA, 17-20 November, 2007.
2003. “Experiencing God as Transcendent: the Role of Human Embodiment. ” Paper presented to the 55th Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society held at the Atlanta Hilton, 19-21 November, 2003.
2003. “Prototype Semantics and the Development of Motor Vehicle Categories. ” Paper presented to the Eighth International Cognitive Linguistics Conference, Cognitive Linguistics, Functionalism, Discourse Studies: Common Ground and New Directions held 20-25 July, 2003 at the Universidad de La Rioja, Logroño, La Rioja, Spain.
2000. “Rationalizing the Gospel Truth: Contextualization or Syncretism. ” Paper presented to the 52nd Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society held at Opryland, Nashville, TN, 15-17 November, 2000.
2000. “Mired in the Basic Level: the Quagmire of Cultural Relativism. ” Paper presented to a symposium on Christian Perspectives on Anthropological Theory, Biola University – School of Intercultural Studies, La Mirada, CA. 6-8 April, 2000.
1999. “Experiential Realism and Concepts of Truth, ” Paper presented to the Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Philosophical Society held at the Sheraton Ferncroft Resort, Danvers, MA, 17-19 November, 1999. (with Jason White).
1998. “Explorations in Prototype Theology, ” presented to the Symposium: Meaning, metaphor & religion: Cognitive semantics and the Bible, University of Leuven, 6-8 July 1998.
1991. “Understanding the Kingdom Where There is No Kingdom, ” presented to the 43rd Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society held at the Airport Hilton Plaza Inn, Kansas City, MO, 21-23 November, 1991.
1987. “Christian Teaching as Cargo Ideology, ” presented to the 86th Annual Conference of the American Anthropological Association held at the Chicago Marriot, Chicago, IL, 18-22 November, 1987.
2007. “When Quality Is in the Eye of the Beholder: Paradigm communities and the certification of standards for judging quality. ” Journal of Translation. 3(1): 1-16. 2007.
2006. “From Simple Metaphors to Conceptual Blending: The Mapping of Analogical Concepts and the Praxis of Translation. ” Journal of Translation, 2(1):31-81. 2006.
2005. “From Word to Scenario: The Influence of Linguistic Theories upon Models of Translation. ” Journal of Translation, 1(3):29-67. 2005.