David B. Frank
- Ph.D., Linguistics, University of Texas at Arlington, 1983
- M.A., Linguistics, University of Texas at Arlington, 1977
- B.A., Linguistics, University of Georgia, 1975
- Certified Senior Linguistics Consultant, SIL International, 2012–
- Editor, Journal of Translation, 2007–
- Linguistics Consultant, SIL Americas Area, 2001–
- Member, Gullah Geechee Cultural Heritage Corridor Commission, 2007–
- International Linguistics Consultant, SIL International, 2008–2011
- Linguistic field worker, Gullah, 2003–2006
- Linguistic field worker, St. Lucian Creole, 1984–2000
- Instructor, English as a Foreign Language, University of Texas at Arlington, 1978–1980
- Instructor for SIL summer courses, University of Oklahoma, 1976–1980
- Southeastern Conference on Linguistics, 2008–
- Society for Pidgin and Creole Linguistics, 2002–
- Society for Caribbean Linguistics, 1982–
- Linguistic Society of America, 1975–
- English: ILR 5
- French Creole: ILR 4
- Sea Island Creole (Gullah): ILR 2
- Portuguese Creole: ILR 2
- Spanish: ILR 2
- French: ILR 2
- Creole languages
- Descriptive linguistics
- Translation theory
- Discourse analysis
Frank, David B., ed. 2008–2012. Journal of Translation 4–8. www.sil.org/siljot.
Frank, David B., 2007. Three irregular verbs in Gullah. In Magnus Huber and Viveka Velupillai (eds.), Synchronic and Diachronic Perspectives on Contact Languages, 159–173. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
Frank, David B. 2004. TMA and the St. Lucian Creole verb phrase. In Genevieve Escure and Armin Schwegler (eds.), Creoles, contact, and language change: Linguistic and social implications, 237–257. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
Frank, David B. 2002. The language of the supernatural world in St. Lucia. La Torre 25.399–409.
Frank, David B., ed. 2001. Kwéyòl Dictionary. Paul Crosbie, David Frank, Emanuel Leon, and Peter Samuel (comps.). Castries: Ministry of Education, Government of Saint Lucia.
Frank, David B. 1999. The grammar of sentence conjunctions in St. Lucian French Creole. In Eugene E. Loos (ed.), Logical relations in discourse, 25–35. Dallas: SIL.
Frank, David B. 1993. Political, religious, and economic factors affecting language choice in St. Lucia. International Journal of the Sociology of Language 102:39–56.
Frank, David B. 1979. Speech acts and the structure of conversation. In Ralph E. Cooley, Mervin R. Barnes, and John A. Dunn (eds.), Papers of the 1978 Mid-America Linguistics Conference at Oklahoma, 273–282. Norman: University of Oklahoma.
Frank, David B. 2009. Do we translate the original author's intended meaning? Paper presented at Bible Translation Conference 2009, Dallas, Texas. October 16–20, 2009. www.dbfrank.net/papers/Do_We_Translate_the_Original_Authors_Intended_Meaning.pdf.
Frank, David B. 2008. What kind of theory do we need for translation? Paper presented at Bible Translation Conference 2008, Horsleys Green, England. February 4–6, 2008. www.dbfrank.net/papers/What_Kind_of_Theory_Do_We_Need_for_Translation.pdf.
Frank, David B. 2007. A sociological model for translation studies. Paper presented at the International Conference on Translation, Identity and Heterogeneity, Lima, Peru. December 7–9, 2007. www.dbfrank.net/papers/A_Sociological_Model_for_Translation_Studies.pdf.
Frank, David B. 2007. We don’t speak a real language: Creoles as misunderstood and endangered languages. Paper presented at a Symposium on Endangered Language, College Park, Maryland. March 25, 2007. www.saintluciancreole.org/workpapers/creoles_as_misunderstood.pdf.
Frank, David B. 2004. Cultural dimensions of translation into creole languages. Paper presented at the Conference on Bible Translation, Cave Hill, Barbados. May 24–25, 2004. www.saintluciancreole.org/workpapers/cultural_dimensions.htm.
Frank, David B. 1998. Lexical challenges in the St. Lucian Creole Bible translation project. Paper presented at the Twelfth Biennial Conference of the Society for Caribbean Linguistics, Castries, St. Lucia. August 19–22, 1998. www.saintluciancreole.org/workpapers/lexical_challenges.pdf.
Frank, David B. 1992. Clause versus sentence in St. Lucian French Creole. Paper presented at the Ninth Biennial Conference of the Society for Caribbean Linguistics, Cave Hill, Barbados. August 26–29, 1992. www.saintluciancreole.org/workpapers/clause_versus_sentence.pdf.
Frank, David B. 1986. The structural organization of St. Lucian French Creole narrative texts. Paper presented at the Sixth Biennial Conference of the Society for Caribbean Linguistics, St. Augustine, Trinidad. August 27–30, 1986. www.saintluciancreole.org/workpapers/structural_organization.pdf.