Leoni E. Bouwer
- D.Litt.et Phil. (Ph.D.), linguistics-sociolinguistics, University of South Africa, 2003
- M.A., French, RAU (Johannesburg University), 1991
- B.A., (Hons), French, University of South Africa, 1985
- Certified Senior Language Assessment Consultant, SIL International, 2012–
- Project Leader, Luke Partnership in Madagascar, 2006–
- Postgraduate Research Fellow, (UNISA), 2006–
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, (UNISA), 2004–
- Facilitator, Luke Partnership in Madagascar, 2001–
- Mentor, expatriate and national co-workers, Madagascar, 1999–
- Language Survey Expert, Leader, Madagascar, 1996–
- International Sociolinguistics Consultant, 2004–2007
- International Language Assessment Consultant, 2003–2011
- Instructor, survey courses in UK (TA), 1999; Oregon (lead), 2002; UK (lead), 2004–2006
- Doctoral research, 1997–2002
- Secondary and tertiary teaching and training, 1989–1996
- Cross-cultural living and working, 1986–
- Public relations, events management, communication, Department of Cultural Affairs, 1984–1987, and Kindernothilfe, 1990–1992
- Language and Ecology Research Forum, 2012–
- Linguistic Society of Southern Africa (LSSA), 2006–
- Australian Linguistic Society (ALS), 2006–
- Linguistic Society of America (LSA), 2006–
- International Linguistic Association (ILA), 2006–
- Afrikaans: ILR 5
- English: ILR 5
- French: ILR 5
- Dutch: ILR 4+ (read)
- German: ILR 4+ (read); ILR 3 (write)
- Malagasy: ILR 3+
- Ecology of language
- Austronesian studies
- Comparative studies
- Language and missiology
- Cultural studies
- Ethnolinguistic identity and vitality
- Missions and language planning
- Historical linguistics
- Endangered languages
- Language research and documentation
- Documentation of languages
- Indigenous knowledge
- Linguistic rights
- Communication and the non-hearing
- Literacy vs oralcy
Bouwer, Leoni E. 2010. A bibliographic journey through Madagascar. SIL Language and Culture Documentation and Description 13. www.sil.org/silepubs/abstract.asp?id=52762.
Bouwer, Leoni E. 2008. L’expérience malgache dans la traduction de la Parole de Dieu en langues maternelles. Perspectives Missionnaires 56:21–31.
Bouwer, Leoni E. 2008. Reflections on the relationship between language and revival in Madagascar. In Cynthia Holder Rich (ed.), The Fifohazana: Madagascar’s indigenous Christian movement, 183–204. Amherst, New York: Cambria Press.
Bouwer, Leoni E. 2007. Intercomprehension and mutual intelligibility among southern Malagasy languages. Language Matters 38(2):79–98.
Bouwer, Leoni E. 2005. Towards a sociolinguistic profile of Madagascar: Issues of diversity. Language Matters 36(1):98–116.
Bouwer, Leoni E. 1998. A sociolinguistic expedition into Madagascar. Language Matters 29:256–285.
Bouwer, Leoni E. 2010. Language ecology: An introduction. Paper presented at the International Language Assessment Conference, Penang, Malaysia. November 3–10, 2010.
Elli, Luigi. 2010. Dictionnaire ethnologique Bara-Franҫais. Edited and completed by Leoni E. Bouwer following the death of the author. Madagascar: Communauté de Turin de Madagascar.
Bouwer, Leoni E. 2008. The meaning of understanding and intelligibility in Madagascar. Paper presented at the Methods XIII Conference, Leeds, England. August 4–8, 2008.
Bouwer, Leoni E. 2007. Malagasy language and languages. Paper presented at the Académie Malagache, Antananarivo, Madagascar. July 6, 2007.
Bouwer, Leoni E. 2006. Diversity in Madagascar: Opportunity or threat? Paper presented at the Linguistic Society of Southern Africa Conference, Durban, South Africa. July 5–7, 2006.
Bouwer, Leoni E. 2005. Ecology of language and language assessment: A case study. Paper presented at the International Language Assessment Conference, Chiang Mai, Thailand. September 7–14, 2005.
Bouwer, Leoni E. 2005. Language ecologies in Madagascar: An ongoing study. Paper presented at the International Language Assessment Conference, Chiang Mai, Thailand. September 7–14, 2005.
Bouwer, Leoni E. 2003. The viability of official Malagasy in the language ecology of southern Madagascar with particular reference to the Bara speech community. D.Lit. dissertation. University of South Africa.
Bouwer, Leoni E. 1992. Deux dramaturges face à la guerre: Jean Giraudoux et Armand Salacrou. M.A. thesis. Randse Afrikaanse Universiteit.Publications in SIL International Bibliography