Katharine G.L. Barnwell
Wycliffe Centre, Horsleys Green
High Wycombe, Bucks, HP14 3XL, UK
- Ph.D. University College London and School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London. 1970
- M.A. Hons., University of St. Andrews, U.K. 1960
- Director of Training and Consulting, The Seed Company (2000– )
- International Translation Consultant (1975– )
- International Translation Coordinator (1989–1999)
- Africa Area Translation coordinator (1981–1989)
- Translation consultant, Nigeria (1973–1988)
- Training Nigerian translators and consultants with Nigeria Bible Translation Trust (1976–1988)
- Coordinator of Translation programs, Nigeria (1973–1976)
- Mbembe language project, Nigeria (1964–1973 and intermittently until 1985)
- British SIL school taught grammar, semantics, translation and exegesis (1964–1990)
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Evangelical Theological Society
- West Africa Linguistic Society
- Training translators
- Training consultants
- Key biblical terms in the NT
- Discourse analysis
2007. (with Hanni Kuhn.) Translator's notes on Genesis volume one: 1-11:26 : helps on understanding and translating the book of Genesis. SIL International. 248 + 16 p.
2007. Translator's notes on Malachi: helps on understanding and translating the book written by Malachi. Dallas: SIL International. 112 + 16 p.
2003. “A workshop guide for primer construction. ” In LinguaLinks library 5.0 plus, vii, 120, 61 p. [Dallas]: SIL International DigitalResources.
2000. “How to use questions for testing translations. ” Notes on Translation 14(3): 17-23.
1998. “Preparing to be a consultee: How to get the best help from your consultant. ” Notes on Translation 12(4): 42-45
1997. “Translating the tetragrammaton YHWH. ” Notes on Translation 11(4): 24-27.
1995. Notes on Literature in Use and Language Programs: Bible translation in a changing world: Reflections on the Bolivia report 45:47-54.
1991. Notes on Literature in Use and Language Programs: Sharing skills in mother tongue translator Programs 29:27-34.
1987. Teacher's Manual to accompany Bible Translation. Dallas, Texas: Summer Institute of Linguistics
1986. Bible Translation: An Introductory Course in Translation Principles Third edition. (First edition 1975, Second edition 1978). Dallas, Texas: Summer Institute of Linguistics. Translations published in French, Russian, Spanish, Urdu, Arabic, et al.
1983. “Towards Acceptable Translations”. Notes on Translation 95: 19–25.
1980. Introduction to Semantics and Translation Second edition. (First edition 1974). Summer Institute of Linguistics.
1979. A Workshop Guide for Primer Construction. Summer Institute of Linguistics. Jos, Nigeria, Nigeria Bible Translation Trust.
1977. “Ten Ways of Testing your Translation.” The Bible Translator 28(4):425–32. Also published in Notes on Translation 100:36–44.
1969. A Grammatical Description of Mbembe. Ph.D. Thesis, University of London.
2005. “Aiming for Quality Translations in ‘Initial Goal’ Projects”, Bible Translation Conference, Dallas, Texas.