Lexique Pro dictionary software update
(April 2010) SIL’s Lexique Pro software is an interactive lexicon viewer and editor, designed to display data in a user-friendly format for distribution to others. It has hyperlinks between entries, category views, dictionary reversal, search and export tools. The user interface in version 3.3 is available in English, French, Spanish, Portuguese or Chinese.
Lexique Pro is being used in many small- to medium-sized dictionary projects to make lexical compilations available to colleagues, universities, partner organizations, schools, government offices and any local community with access to cyber-cafes.
Lexique Pro has been used to publish at least 58 online dictionaries from 19 countries. Australia and Papua New Guinea have particularly large selections of online dictionaries using Lexique Pro. Lexique Pro is free for download and comes with a sample database and documentation.
Features—a guided tour with screenshots
- A setup wizard adapts quickly from existing databases
- Displays multilingual dictionaries according to any of the languages
- A distribution wizard configures the lexicon package to share with others
- Exports three dictionary sort orders in Microsoft Word, Rich Text Format, OpenOffice.org or to the Web
- Interface menus available in English, French, Spanish, Portuguese or Chinese
- Has a built-in editor to continue building a lexicon
- Hyperlinks to related entries
- Stores pictures and sound for each entry
- Searches can be configured
- Categories assignable according to Ron Moe’s semantic domains (Dictionary Development Program)
- Available buttons for general information about the language or the compilers
- Reads data from Shoebox, Toolbox, Multi-Dictionary Formatter, WeSay and SIL FieldWorks Language Explorer (FLEx).
- Runs on Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7
- Unicode enabled and conversion from legacy fonts (via TECkit)
- Right-to-left languages (e.g. Arabic) supported