SIL International Media Release
Presentations by SIL anthropologists
(December 2009) SIL anthropologists are contributing three papers, a workshop and an exhibitor's book table during this year's annual meeting of the American Anthropological Association (AAA), which is being held 2–6 December in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- David Beine, Ph.D., paper—"The end of the worldview concept in anthropology? A summary analysis"
- Marilyn Gregerson, Ph.D., paper—"Law in traditional societies: Rengao and Tampuan"
- Thomas Headland, Ph.D., paper— "A history of one anthropologist's demographic fieldwork in a hunter-gatherer society: Applying demography towards the end/s of anthropology"
- Tomas Woodward, workshop—"Fieldworks Data Notebook: Software for writing and managing field notes"
- Paul Lewis, Ph.D., book table exhibitor—SIL International Publications
Workshop: SIL FieldWorks Data Notebook
Tom Woodward, International Anthropology Director for SIL, led an AAA workshop, "FieldWorks Data Notebook: Software for writing and managing field notes."
This workshop provided a detailed tour of the free data-management software, and practical observations about using it in instructional and field settings. For beginning ethnographers, Data Notebook provides a framework for thoroughly documented field notes. Seasoned fieldworkers find the data management both sophisticated and versatile. Tom Woodward helped design Data Notebook and has taught people how to use it since its release.
Ethnologue available at book table
Due to the recent release of the revised (2009) edition of The Ethnologue: Languages of the World, Editor Paul Lewis was available at the book table exhibit. The most comprehensive reference volume of its kind, the Ethnologue catalogs the world’s 6,909 known living languages. With language descriptions, color maps, statistical summary tables and a bibliography, it is available both in hardcover and online.