SIL International Media Release
Universidad de Ricardo Palma now houses SIL Peru Linguistics Library
Left to right: Dr. Wes Collins, CILTA Director, Jim Roberts, SIL Peru Branch Director, Dr. Iván Rodríguez Chávez, Rector of Universidad de Ricardo Palma
(May 2007) In a ceremony in Lima at the Universidad de Ricardo Palma, Dr. Iván Rodríguez Chávez, University Rector, and SIL Peru Director Jim Roberts signed an agreement for the university to house the SIL linguistics library. The signing was attended by university and SIL staff.
The SIL Peru linguistics library—consisting of nearly 4000 books and an entire collection of linguistics journals—will now reside at the university as a private collection. With the addition of SIL’s books, the university will now have one of the most extensive linguistics libraries in Peru.
The Universidad de Ricardo Palma is the current sponsor and host for the two-part course Curso Internacional de Lingüística, Traducción y Alfabetización (CILTA). Taught in Spanish, CILTA is a linguistics course designed to offer cross-cultural instruction for Latin Americans involved in language-based development. SIL International provides professors for the program, and the university offers classroom space, administrative support, college credit and a diploma for qualified students. At present SIL professors teach four courses, and Peruvian scholar, Maggie Romani, teaches Morphology and Syntax.
Related links of interest
- SIL in Peru: http://www.sil.org/americas/peru/index.html
- CILTA course: http://www.sil.org/capacitar/universidad/
- SIL Peru's 60th anniversary celebrations (pre): http://www.sil.org/sil/news/2006/Peru60thPre.htm
- SIL Peru's 60th anniversary celebrations (post): http://www.sil.org/sil/news/2006/peru_60th.htm
- Universidad de Ricardo Palma: http://www.urp.edu.pe/urp/