SIL International Media Release
SIL scholars to present papers at LSA’s 79th annual meeting in January 2005
DALLAS, TX (January 6, 2005) SIL representatives will present papers at the 79th annual meeting of the Linguistic Society of America (LSA) and also at the Society for the Study of Indigenous Languages of the Americas (SSILA), meeting concurrently in Oakland, California, on January 6–9.
Over 250 papers will be presented at the LSA meetings, as well as eight multi-speaker symposia or workshops will be offered, ranging from "Unicode for Linguists" to "The Intersection of Law and Linguistics" to "Archiving and Linguistic Resources."
The Linguistic Society of America has approximately 7,000 members from many countries. The Society’s two most prominent continuing activities are publishing its premier journal, Language, and convening its annual meeting.
SIL members have a long history of involvement with the LSA. Dr. Kenneth Pike served as its President in 1961. Others have served on various committees or on the editorial board of Language. During 2003, Dr. Michael Cahill chaired the LSA’s Committee on Endangered Languages and Their Preservation.
SIL representatives presenting at the LSA:
- Dr. Michael Cahill “Perception and word-initial [gb] and [b] in Yoruba”
- Kathy Sands “Patternings of vocalic sequences in the world's languages”
- Dr. Gary Simons participating in a tutorial panel on Archiving and Linguistic Resources
- Cathy Moser Marlett presenting a poster on endangered languages
SIL representatives presenting at the SSILA:
- Diane Hintz “Spanish lado ‘side’ as a Source of Grammaticalization for Quechua la: ‘LOC’”
- Erick Jackson “Derived Statives in Pima”
- Stephen Marlett “Some Argument Structure Issues in Seri”
Related links of possible interest
- Linguistic Society of America
- Linguistics in SIL
- SIL Endangered Languages Home Page
- Pima languages
- Quechuan languages
- Electronic Working Papers
- Electronic Survey Reports
- Linguistic publications from SIL fields, many for free download
- SIL Bibliography
- Ethnologue and other SIL publications and software for purchase