Why Languages Matter
Meeting Millennium Development Goals through local languages
Languages are dynamic because people and their culture constantly adapt in response to the world around them. Language development is a tool that can help build a communication bridge between local and global communities.
SIL works in partnership with nongovernmental organizations, governmental agencies and local communities to address the eight Millennium Development Goals adopted by the United Nations.
- Goal 1. Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- Goal 2. Achieve universal primary education
- Goal 3. Promote gender equality and empower women
- Goal 4. Reduce child mortality
- Goal 5. Improve maternal health
- Goal 6. Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- Goal 7. Ensure environmental sustainability
- Goal 8. Develop a global partnership for development