Upgrading to Toolbox from Shoebox
Information for those upgrading from Shoebox
Upgrading to a Newer Version of Toolbox
All versions of Toolbox are designed to be fully upward compatible, so if you are already running Toolbox, it should always be safe to install a newer version of Toolbox.
Upgrading from Shoebox
Upgrading from Shoebox 5 to Toolbox is extremely easy because Toolbox is really an enhanced version of Shoebox with a new name. It is fully upward compatible with Shoebox. You can install Toolbox and use it just as you used Shoebox, with virtually no difference. Because Field Linguist's Toolbox is an enhanced version of Shoebox, it is sometimes referred to as Shoebox/Toolbox.
When you install Toolbox, it changes the default association of Shoebox project files (.prj) to run Toolbox instead. But if you still want to run Shoebox on a particular project, you can do it by running Shoebox and opening the project.
Differences between Shoebox 5 and Toolbox
Toolbox has a number of enhancements over Shoebox. Most of these will not affect you if you use Toolbox on a Shoebox project. But a few of them may cause slightly different behaviour, hopefully better in most cases.
- Unicode has been enabled using UTF-8. To make Keyman work with Unicode, see the topics "Keyman" and "Using Unicode" in the on-line help. Note: Recent versions of Consistent Changes have the "u" command which can be used for converting data to Unicode.
- Interlinear Verify is available through Tools, Spelling and Interlinear Check. This will verify that all interlinear annotations correspond to entries in the lexicons.
- External jump: Paratext and CarlaStudio have commands that ask Toolbox to jump. Toolbox searches the indexes of all views, and jumps to any that match. This can cause multiple views to all jump at once.
- The same multiple window Jump can be used inside Toolbox. If no Jump Path is set for a particular marker, then jumping from that field causes all available views that are sorted by the correct language to jump.
- Parallel movement: If two (or more) windows are sorted by the same language and the second is a Jump Target, the second will move from record to record in parallel with the first.
- Toolbox now uses a dot instead of a space in Number and Renumber text. This makes a reference that can be jumped to with right click. This greatly enhances the usefulness of Word List and Concordance.
- Added Project, Auto Save option.
- File Save toolbar button saves all.
- Added Tools, Adapt All to adapt whole (or rest of) file.
- Added Edit, Return from Jump . This command returns to last window jumped from. It also performs the interlinearize command if returning from dictionary to interlinear text. (Note: Return from Jump returns to the window, not the record. If you jump to elsewhere in the same window, Return from Jump will not do anything.)
- Set Wrap Margin sets the margin for all open files of the current database type.
- Improved spacing of interlinear text on screen.
- Ambiguity box is enlarged.
- Made it easier to transfer projects from one machine to another.
- Dialog boxes don't split across multiple monitors.
- Mouse wheel scrolling works.
- Added display of sort CC table name in Language Encoding Options.
- Made root guess work with insert into lexicon.
- Add new interlinear process at top of list if the first process was selected.
- Enlarged edit windows in dialog boxes and use full size language font in them.
- Allow no morph break chars for languages with no word break spaces.
- Made root guess try compound roots, for languages with no word spaces.
- Made tab key move to next field, shift tab to previous.
- Made text numbering do 4 digit numbers if desired.
- Don't ask user for ambiguity selection in lookup of morpheme guesses from a parse failure.
Possible adjustments to make Toolbox act like Shoebox
- Jump path: In Shoebox, if there was no jump path defined from a particular field, the default was that it would jump to the current database. If the jump target was not found, it would offer to insert it into the current database. In Toolbox, if there is no jump path defined from a particular field, it triggers the multiple window jump. If the jump target is not found, it does not offer to insert it into the current database. If you want Toolbox to behave like Shoebox did, then define a jump path from the field in question to the current database.
- Render32.dll: If you use Render32.dll, then you should copy it from your Shoebox program folder to the Toolbox program folder (if you accepted the installation default, it is C:\Program Files\Toolbox).