The Linguist's Shoebox
Integrated data management and analysis for the field linguist
Set up variables after you have set up the sort order in a language encoding.
In Shoebox language encodings, you must list the characters that belong to the user-defined variables: sets of related characters (e.g., consonants, nasals, vowels). You can use variables to match characters in the following dialog boxes:
After you have set up and tested the sort order, you can use it to define most kinds of variables as follows:
- From the Project menu, choose Language Encodings.
- From the Language Encodings list, select the appropriate language encoding and click Modify.
- From the Sort Orders list, select the sort order and click Modify.
- In the Primary characters box, select all the characters and copy them to the Clipboard.
- Click Cancel.
- Click the Variables tab.
- For each variable in the list,
- If you need any new variables, add them. Define them by pasting the primary characters and deleting the characters that do not belong.
- Click OK, then click Close.