The Linguist's Shoebox
Integrated data management and analysis for the field linguist
You can rename generic language encodings.
Shoebox provides the following generic language encoding files:
- n_lang.lng national language (e.g., Indonesian)
- r_lang.lng regional language (e.g., Ambonese Malay)
- v_lang.lng vernacular language (e.g., Selaru)
The Setup/Installer program copies these files
to the user settings folder.
You can customize them for use with the Multi-Dictionary Formatter.
If you want, you can also change their generic names to specific names.
Using specific names might help you better understand the workings
of the language-dependent features in Shoebox.
Caution: Before you use the following procedure for renaming language encodings, make sure that at least one of each kind of database (e.g., anthropology notes, interlinear text, lexicon) in your project is open in Shoebox. Each data field marker is associated with a language encoding. These associations are contained in database type files (as part of the marker properties). As long as the relevant database types are open, Shoebox is able to preserve the associations between markers and the renamed language encodings.
- From the Project menu, choose Language Encodings.
- In the list, click the appropriate generic language encoding (e.g., national).
- Click Modify.
- Click the Options tab.
- In the Language Name box, type the specific name (e.g., Indonesian).
- Click OK.
- Click Close.
You can see that the language encoding has been renamed by right-clicking one of its associated markers in the marker pane to display the Marker Properties dialog box.