The Linguist's Shoebox
Integrated data management and analysis for the field linguist
Back up your Shoebox files regularly.
We strongly encourage you to back up your Shoebox files on a removable medium (e.g., compact disc, floppy disk, tape). It is also prudent to send copies of your backups to a secure location periodically. You can prevent loss of your field work if your computer malfunctions or is lost by making archives regularly and at times of transition:
- after every significant working session (or at least after every significant milestone in your work)
- before installing a new version of Shoebox (or before opening any of your existing projects in a new version)
There are at least three kinds of Shoebox-related files on your computer's hard disk:
- Shoebox program files don't necessarily need to be backed up, because you can install the program again if you have the Shoebox CD-ROM. Important: Do not put your data and settings files in the Shoebox program folder (or in any of its subfolders).
- Your data files need to be backed up.
- Your settings files also need to be backed up. Note: The Shoebox Setup/Installer program automatically creates a user settings folder for the Shoebox-specific settings files that relate directly to your databases.