Speech Analyzer Downloads
Speech Analyzer 3.1
- Computer and processor: Computer with Pentium (or equivalent) at 333 megahertz (MHz) or higher
- Memory: 128 MB of RAM
- Hard disk: Hard disk space requirements will vary depending on existing machine configuration and custom installation choices. In the worst case scenario, 360 megabytes is required for installation, and a further 20 megabytes to run. This can be reduced by deselecting features from the Speech Analyzer installer wizard. If required supporting software is already present (for example, the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0), the required disk space is reduced
- Operating system: Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3), Windows Vista or Windows 7
- Display: 1024 by 768 pixels screen resolution (for laptops, use native display resolution)
- Peripherals: Mouse or compatible pointing device
- .Net Framework: .Net 2.0 is an additional requirement on Windows XP (it is shipped with Windows Vista and Windows 7). See download section for more details
Note: The more RAM and the faster the CPU, the better the software will perform.
For Windows XP only, the .NET 2.0 Framework must be already installed before Speech Analyzer is installed. Most XP systems already have this installed because it was required for other programs. If yours does not, you will have to install the .Net 2.0 Framework which can be obtained from the .Net 2.0 Framework download page. You may wish to consult your computer support person for help on this.
Review the latest ReadMe information for more details on this release.
Review the latest Setup information for more detailed setup and removal instructions. This includes specific upgrade instructions for users with an older version of Speech Analyzer currently installed.
These online ReadMe and Setup files may be newer than the files included in the software download.
Download and installation instructions
- Download the Speech Analyzer installer (33 MB; MD5 hash 5e15f24b865ef6be70e98b79edd10b0d).
- Double-click SpeechAnalyzer3.1.msi.
- Follow the installer instructions.
Word Viewer. Speech Analyzer Training materials require the use of Microsoft Word, Open Office, or Microsoft Word Viewer. If you don’t have Microsoft Word or Open Office, you can install the Word Viewer from an SIL Language Freeware CD, or download it from Word Viewer download page.
Windows Media Player. Opening MP3 or WMA files requires Windows Media Player version 9 or later. An additional codec may be required for opening MP3 files.
Microsoft Windows provides many built-in keyboards for typing major languages. These can be enabled in the Control Panel under the Regional and Language Options option.
If Windows does not provide a built-in keyboard that works for your language, or if you type transcriptions in the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA), then you will need to install a custom keyboard. There are two basic methods for installing custom keyboards.
If you already have Keyman 6.2, it will continue to work with Speech Analyzer 3.1. For new Keyman users, or those who wish to upgrade, Keyman is available for download from Keyman download page. There are several editions to choose from. All of them require that you purchase a license within 30 days of installation. (Note: there are no longer any free editions of Keyman.) For more information on the Web, go to Keyman Editions.
Speech Analyzer provides a Keyman keyboard developed by the Non-Roman Script Initiative (NRSI) for typing IPA characters. The file to install is c:\Program Files\SIL\Speech Analyzer\Keyman\ipaUni11.kmx.
Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator (MSKLC)
You can download a free version of MSKLC from MSKLC download page. MSKLC allows you to create, modify, and install custom keyboards without any purchases.
If you have an existing MSKLC keyboard, you can install that without downloading the MSKLC package. You only need the full package to create or modify existing keyboards. Speech Analyzer provides a MSKLC keyboard developed by the NRSI for typing IPA characters. The file to install is in the following sub-folder of the Speech Analyzer installation folder: Keyboards\IPAMSKLC1.0\ipa10\setup.exe.
An older, non-Unicode version of Speech Analyzer (version 2.7) is bundled with Speech Tools 2.2, available on SIL Language Freeware, Disc 2. This version is only recommended if you have sound files which were transcribed using custom fonts for which no Unicode conversion is available.
The SIL Language Freeware, Disc 2 CD-ROM image and installation files can be downloaded, or if you do not have the bandwidth to make downloading these files practical, you may order a CD-ROM containing the files for the price of the media, shipping, and handling.