Current version: 2.1, released 2008
IPA Help is a computer program for learning to recognize, transcribe, and produce the sounds of the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA).
You can use IPA Help to do the following tasks:
- Hear IPA sounds by clicking their symbols in the IPA chart.
- Test recognition of phones.
- Hear IPA sounds in context with example data.
Significant changes since version 2.04 (June 2005)
Improved in IPA Help
- Available as an independent program instead of one tool within the Speech Tools suite.
- Help file is now in HTML Help format (and therefore Vista compatible).
Fixed in IPA Help
- Slowed Replay and Pitch Graph features don’t work for non-administrative users.
- The WavFile column appears in Edit Font list, but the font can’t be changed.
- The Intervocalic button is not grayed for examples of diacritics on vowels.
IPA Help preview
You can preview selected features of IPA Help, including the following:
- Consonant and vowel charts, including their sounds
- Diacritic and suprasegmental charts (no sounds)
- Vocal tract charts
- A sample word list
IPA Help is distributed as freeware. As such, no warranty or support is provided and you use it at your own risk. We welcome bug reports, which you can send to . However, when you submit a bug report, we cannot guarantee that you will receive a reply or that the bug will be fixed.