SIL Software Catalog
SIL has developed more than 60 pieces of software to support the work of its fieldworkers; most available to the public for free download. This on-line catalog contains product descriptions, download or purchasing instructions, and technical support information, including the latest SIL software Service Bulletins.
All Titles | Categories | Keywords | Platforms | Recommendations
Document Preparation Aids (Endorsed)
Current version: 19870119, released 19 January 1987
These programs are intended as tools for field linguists who need to prepare documents in languages other than English.
- WRDCHG makes changes to the words of a text, while preserving capitalization, punctuation, and formatting.
- SYLCHK identifies potential spelling errors in text, using decomposition into syllables as the method for identifying possible errors, and returns these as a list.
- SYLCOR is an interactive editor for correcting potential errors, using the same method as SYLCHK for finding possible errors.
- SPLCOR is an interactive editor for correcting potential errors, based on word lists of known correct words.
- HYPHEN introduces a user-determined character at syllable boundaries. It uses a different mechanism for identifying syllables than SYLCHK and SYLCOR.
- DELIM checks text to see that delimiters (characters like quote marks, brackets, braces, parentheses, and so on) are paired and properly nested.
Getting Document Preparation Aids
- MS-DOS [ZIP, 120 KB]